Thursday, October 27, 2011

The gift you gave...

This post was originally wrote (but not completed) a day after getting back from Haiti. However although some time has passed the sentiment remains the same. So a belated thank you to all those that supported my trip to Haiti.

Today I have been flooded with feelings, happy/broken stories of my time in Haiti and I wanted to share with all those that supported me financially and prayerfully how much I've been changed. You have given me a gift I didnt know I wanted. A piece of Jesus I had yet to see. A heart that has grown beyond its borders and a knowledge of what it means to be the body of Christ.

My time there has transformed me and there are stories that need to be told, but in the meantime I want to give you all a glimpse of what the gift you gave looks like. A gift that you wrapped in love and presented in prayer to me...

The gift of support/ believe/ encouragement... How could I ever thank you for this unexpected gift? Without being aware of it ,you annointed me with your words of support and encouragement. You spoke blessings over me with your kindness and showed me that you believed in me when I didnt believe in myself.

The gift of freedom from fears... Honestly I can say I absolutely love flying now, but then again how could you not when you know no matter what happens you either go home or go home to heaven. Plus there is nothing like a sunrise at 38,000 ft.


photo taken by Shannon Kelley

The gift of extended family... This is the biggest blessing of all, because I saw very clearly that I am a part of a vast family that does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, nationality, income or social status. I have brothers and sisters I have yet to meet, but who I will one day know as well as I know myself.

The interns turned sisters in Christ.


Roberson, Brad and I having fun at lunch.


 

The crew at Wahoo Bay.
Photos taken by Shannon Kelley.
The gift of being comfortable in my own skin..Its hard to explain, but I never felt more at peace with myself than while in Haiti. I felt beautiful (inside and out) and although that might sound prideful, for a person with my past feeling beautiful is a gift that can only bestowed by a very loving God. I left comparison at the door and was able to be excactly who God created me to be.



The girls (Jen, Renee and Ashley) releasing our inner Goddess.
Photo taken by Angelina Reed


The gift of perspective.....Never again will trivial things affect me quite as badly. Never again will I grumble and gripe about what amounts to nothing because I have seen life through a filter of poverty.

Port au Prince, Haiti

The gift of purpose.... I've spent my whole life wondering what my purpose was here on earth, but in 7 days my purpose/ our purpose was made very clear. We are made to "go into all the world and make disciples (Matt 28:19), preach the good news (Mark 16:15), to lose the chains of injustice, untie the cords of the yoke, feed the hungry, clothe the naked (Isaiah 58), to care for the orphans and the widows (James 1:27). TO LOVE!! (John 13:34)

Tree of Life Orphanage
Photo taken by Renee Bouldin


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you...